Thursday, November 17, 2011

In Progress...


I have the whole top half of this rug completed now-- YAY!!!!


I have not been able to work on this everyday like I thought I would.  I had told myself, "a motif and 1/2 hour of background per day.  I'd like to move on to the #7 and the tree on the left side next but as it turns out, I'm only able to get to this every few days so it's going to be more hit and miss, at least until after Christmas.  I have to say that initially, I wasn't thrilled with the background colors but they have really grown on me and now I'm loving the different colors ;-)
I already am a "texture" person but don't usually do grey too much and rarely that color of green.  The other really different thing about this rug is the style of hooking.  The whole top half is hooked in straight vertical lines with the exception of a few places on the numbers and the tree branches but even some of each number is hooked in the straight vertical fashion.  All of the bottom half background will go horizontal.  Some of the motifs will be vertical (numbers), but the tree and the house will be horizontal too.  I need to pull the two vertical rows of hooking that I've done so far on the house out so I can hook it horizontal instead.  I know I won't like it vertical.  So far, this is coming together nicely for me ;-)

What is taking me away from finishing that darn rug is, I'm busy working on Christmas pretties for my girls ;-)  These aren't the "big" gifts so hopefully they're doable in the time I have left.  I know I'm starting late but I do pretty well under pressure-- hahaha!  Who am I kidding?!

Here are my blocks so far-- they won't be set this way and they don't all go together but this gives you an idea of what I'm working with-- really simple stuff  ;-)
Some of the blocks I can already see aren't working good together so there's some re-do's in there but that's ok.  I did one all the way through already though so I know about any changes that I need to make on the others.  Also, it gave me an idea about how much time it will take to complete them and it turns out I can do all three in an afternoon so it's all good ;-)   I LOVE FAST AND EASY!!!


This past Sunday I went to my Rug Guild meeting, The Colonial Rug Hookers of Northern Virginia.  One of my friends in the guild purchased one of my canvases (Friendship's Offering) at a recent meeting and she's completed it already except for the binding and some additional embellishments she is adding.  She's adding fuzzy yarn on the wings and will be adding bugle beads to the heart and flowers-- I LOVE how she's doing it!!!  Boo, thank you for such a beautiful interpretation!!!


Woo Hoo!!!
It's past my bedtime...

Blessings,
Debra <3

No comments:

Post a Comment